Thursday 4 October 2012

Tonight I am going to the Solomon Islands…and I'm taking you with me ....




Whilst going through my library I came across a story I’ve read before, for about the fifth or sixth time, have not been able to stop reading, and will read again, and again, and again….it reminded me of my own “Putting my feet down on my island home” experience....so very special and very emotional and one significant and life changing event in my life I will never ever forget..

So I’m going to take a few snipets…leaving out family names as there are many descendants still living and prospering today, whom I am proud to say I know well and have much respect for…and I’m happy that they too have been able to experience “Going back home”….

“...When we landed on the runway at Honiara, I was almost sobbing.  My Heart – I can’t explain the feeling, the feeling that had invaded my body as I put my foot down in the Solomon Islands that first time…I had returned!!

I was ushered through Customs and out to see the Malaita people who had heard that I was coming…Every time I wanted to talk a great lump would come in my throat.

We could see the people looking at us, at my family and me.  They were very intrigued.

Then in Honiara we met a man and his wife and their son and daughter, and we had a great talk..

On Friday night we left Guadalcanal to go to the Island of Malaita…

I literally cried, I was so overcome with emotion. Here I was off the Malaita coast, and I was soon to land on the island my grandfather had come from so long ago.  I thought of my Dad.  How would he have felt if he had been able to come with me this morning, if he had seen this island, the land of his father?

I went ashore….and then I walked onto the land, the soil of Malaita.  Oh, Malaita, the land of my father.

The gentleman who had come to meet us said: Come brother, visit your land. Come see your place.

As I walked on Malaita for the first time, I bent down and touched the ground. 

No comments:

Post a Comment