Tuesday 21 August 2012


I’m into about my second week with my Blog, and each day as I continue with my research and reading, I come across articles, photos, diary entries, sketches and more which I often think are so interesting and that I should post…however I would be here all day, and most likely get nothing else done..There is so much thought-provoking and remarkable information out there. 

While I read all this…I could never understand what my ancestors endured and what the majority of people at the time accepted….It was a different era I suppose…
One thing that I find interesting is the written word from over 100 years ago and coming across old words or phrases that you rarely or never hear anymore…

I thought I’d share something  I found recently.

This excerpt is from a news article from the late 1800’s, reporting the happenings after the death of a captain of a labour vessel, on one of the islands…
“…Since this happened the island has been in perfect pandemonium…. The Kanakas appear to have taken possession of the large quantity of rum and other spirits…and while maddened with drink, to have plundered the station and distributed the trade amongst the natives of the island.”
“Perfect Pandemonium”..I think I would like to have seen that!!…

No comments:

Post a Comment